Burgers are personal and an intimate expression of who a person is and their relationship with food. I believe this with all my heart because of the sheer volume of customization you can have with burgers. With cheese or without. Meat, vegetarian, vegan. Add-ins inside the meat or on top. Sesame buns or brioche or? Read [?]
Burgers are personal and an intimate expression of who a person is and their relationship with food. I believe this with all my heart because of the sheer volume of customization you can have with burgers. With cheese or without. Meat, vegetarian, vegan. Add-ins inside the meat or on top. Sesame buns or brioche or Read More »
Thеrе wаѕ а time thаt I thought I соuld рrоbаblу live оff burgers fоr thе rest оf mу life аnd bе happy… Whо аm I kidding, I ѕtіll thіnk that! Onlу nоw thаt I аm older аnd wiser, I’ve bесоmе addicted tо thе wonders оf black bean burgers. I love thаt thеу аrе ѕо lоw іn calories compared tо аnу meat versions аnd а lot lеѕѕ expensive, too. It іѕ thе ultimate indulgent feeling meal thаt іѕ pretty guilt-free. Thаt іѕ а huge win іn mу book… аnd јuѕt а guess here, but I аm assuming іt іѕ іn yours, too!
Black Bean Burgers with Portobello Mushrooms & Cheddar
- 2 (15oz) cans low sodium black beans
- zest of one lime
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ medium red onion, finely diced
- 4 teaspoons crushed dried chipotle pepper*
- 4 teaspoons adobo sauce*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, rinsed and gutted
- 4 oz sharp cheddar
- 4 burger buns
- Rinse the black beans and gently pat dry.
- Place the beans in a medium bowl and lightly mash with a fork. Add in the lime, garlic, onion, chipotle, adobo sauce, salt and pepper and mix well. If you prefer burgers that are less spicy, you can skip the chipotle or adobo sauce (or both!).
- Take a quarter of the mixture and form a tight patty. I like to roll the beans in a ball in my hands and then flatten to my desired thickness. The burgers should keep their shape, but if for some reason, it feels crumbly around the edges, place the patty back in the bowl and add an egg to the mixture to help with binding. Form four patties.
- Heat a large griddle or skillet on medium high and coat with the oil. Add your patties and if there is room, the mushroom caps as well. Cook the patties for about 3 – 4 minutes per side or until the outside is a little crispy. The mushrooms take about 2 3 minutes per side.
- Toast your burger buns if desired. Place the black bean burgers on the buns and top with the mushrooms and cheese. Add any additional toppings you desire.
Source: Black Bean Burgers with Portobello Mushrooms & Cheddar Homegrown & Healthy